For IP professionals
This is the portal for professionals working in the field of intellectual property. Here you'll find direct access to all necessary resources.
- Trade Mark Database
- Register changes for trade marks
- Madrid Monitor
- International trade mark registration
- Trade Mark Guidelines (German, French, Italian)
- Classification tool for trade marks
- Trade mark examination support tool
- Trade marks: Costs and fees
- Trade marks: WIPO fee calculator
- Cancellation procedure for trade marks on the grounds of non-use
- Protected public signs: Abbreviations
- Protected public signs: Other signs (emblems)
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices
- Trade marks: News Service Archive
- Patents: Patent Examination Guidelines (German, French)
- Patents: Fees
Five periods of five years
Every five years, we'll invite you to renew protection for your design for an additional five years by sending you a new invoice. A design can be protected for a maximum of 25 years.
Term of protection and renewing protection
A design is protected for an initial period of protection of five years from the date of filing the application. Before protection for your design expires, you'll receive from us an invoice for the next period of protection. If you don't pay it, protection for your design will expire. The fee for all periods of protection is the same as the basic fee.
The fees in detail
Surcharge fees and further processing for missed payments
Have you forgotten to pay the invoice? It may be possible to make a late payment and still keep your design right in force. However, additional costs are involved. Ask us if you're unsure.
Beware of fake invoices
You won't only receive an invoice from us for registering your design. You might also receive unsolicited invoices from private companies or individuals. These are actually fraudulent offers for entering your IP right in a register or for exploiting, renewing or extending protection of your IP right. However, they are of no use for protecting your design in Switzerland. Therefore, please check who sent the invoice before paying it.
Documents & links
24.05.2023 | Media release, Copyright
Online service providers are to remunerate use of journalistic works
26.04.2023 | Media release, Law and policy
Greater efficiency in the fight against counterfeiting
19.01.2023 | Law and policy, Event
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"