For IP professionals
This is the portal for professionals working in the field of intellectual property. Here you'll find direct access to all necessary resources.
- Trade Mark Database
- Register changes for trade marks
- Madrid Monitor
- International trade mark registration
- Trade Mark Guidelines (German, French, Italian)
- Classification tool for trade marks
- Trade mark examination support tool
- Trade marks: Costs and fees
- Trade marks: WIPO fee calculator
- Cancellation procedure for trade marks on the grounds of non-use
- Protected public signs: Abbreviations
- Protected public signs: Other signs (emblems)
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices
- Trade marks: News Service Archive
- Patents: Patent Examination Guidelines (German, French)
- Patents: Fees
Safeguard your rights
It is your sole responsibility to take action against any misuse of your trade mark. The IPI does not check of its own motion for any likelihood of confusion. It is therefore essential that you keep an eye on the market.
Monitoring your trade mark
You can check to see whether a new trade mark, which is identical to yours, has been applied for or registered in Switzerland by using the Trade Mark Database.
You can also instruct a private service provider to monitor your trade mark for you. This will help you to identify any new signs (identical or similar) that could be confused with your trade mark.
Defending your trade mark
If you establish that your trade mark right has been infringed, you can initiate opposition procedures within the statutory time limit. You can bring a claim before an ordinary court at any time.
Bringing a claim before a civil court
You can also apply to a civil court to establish the nullity of the trade mark or prohibit its commercial use. To evaluate the chances of success of a court case, we recommend contacting a trade mark consultant.
Documents & links
24.05.2023 | Media release, Copyright
Online service providers are to remunerate use of journalistic works
26.04.2023 | Media release, Law and policy
Greater efficiency in the fight against counterfeiting
19.01.2023 | Law and policy, Event
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"