During the examination procedure, it may be that the technical documents need to be revised. What do you need to take into consideration?
Extensive changes make it necessary to rewrite individual pages or sometimes even the entire text. If a revision goes beyond the original contents, this can result in the application being rejected. Therefore, you should only make changes if you can prove that:
- The newly defined subject-matter was already contained in the original documents
- The added elements were already known at the time of the filing, which means that they were already part of the verifiable prior art
Changes, additions or replacements of the technical documents must be submitted in two copies. We only accept these documents if they are signed and if it is indicated to which patent application the documents belong.
Therefore, the purpose of a modification can only be to more clearly define the subject-matter of the invention or to restrict the scope of protection in light of the description. It is not possible to make additions or further develop the invention by changing the technical documents. This can only be done by submitting a new application.
The revised documents must be accompanied by a signed change request and must include the application number.
- Patent Examination Guidelines in German (pdf) till 31.12.2018
- Patent Examination Guidelines in German (pdf) from 01.01.2019
- Patent Examination Guidelines in French (pdf) till 31.12.2018
- Patent Examination Guidelines in French from 01.01.2019
- Leaflet on preparing the technical documentation in German (pdf)
- Leaflet on preparing the technical documentation in French
- Leaflet on preparing the technical documentation in Italian
21.11.2018 | Partners and initiatives
BioInnovation Day in Geneva – the IPI awards prizes for inventions
Revised guidelines for the substantive examination of national patent applications effective 1 January 2019
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich
14.02.2018 | Event
Stakeholder Discussions on: Innovation, availability and affordability of medical products. Can we achieve it all?
27.09.2017 | Event
Séminaire IPI / LES: «développements récents en droit des marques», jeudi le 9 novembre 2017 au Novotel Genève