During the examination procedure, it may be that the technical documents need to be revised. What do you need to take into consideration?
Extensive changes make it necessary to rewrite individual pages or sometimes even the entire text. If a revision goes beyond the original contents, this can result in the application being rejected. Therefore, you should only make changes if you can prove that:
- The newly defined subject-matter was already contained in the original documents
- The added elements were already known at the time of the filing, which means that they were already part of the verifiable prior art
Changes, additions or replacements of the technical documents must be submitted in two copies. We only accept these documents if they are signed and if it is indicated to which patent application the documents belong.
Therefore, the purpose of a modification can only be to more clearly define the subject-matter of the invention or to restrict the scope of protection in light of the description. It is not possible to make additions or further develop the invention by changing the technical documents. This can only be done by submitting a new application.
The revised documents must be accompanied by a signed change request and must include the application number.
- Patent Examination Guidelines in German (pdf) from 01.01.2019
- Patent Examination Guidelines in French (pdf) from 01.01.2019
- Leaflet on preparing the technical documentation in German (pdf)
- Leaflet on preparing the technical documentation in French (pdf)
- Leaflet on preparing the technical documentation in Italian (pdf)
Switzerland sets a new record for European patent applications
Trade marks in Switzerland still at a high
Fit for the digital age – modernised copyright rules to come into force on 1 April 2020
08.11.2019 | Event
Symposium on Creative Approaches to Improving Access to Medicines Globally
Roundtable on the protection of computer-implemented inventions