Swiss patent applications should be filed directly with us. We examine your application and, once anything necessary has been amended, grant you a Swiss patent. This patent is valid in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
The four steps from the invention to a Swiss patent:
- The application: this includes the request for a patent as well as the technical documents that need to be submitted. In an initial stage, the IPI formally examines the application. If all conditions are met, the application is published after 18 months.
- The substantive examination: the patent experts at the IPI examine whether the technical documents meet the legal requirements. Is the invention patentable? Can a skilled person understand the patent application? Are the patent claims clear and comprehensible? Do interested groups (skilled people, the public and possibly a court) know exactly what will be protected by the patent based on the patent claims?
- Granting the patent or rejecting it: if all requirements are met, the IPI grants a Swiss patent. This is published and is valid in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- The administration and entry in the register: the legal status of the patent (such as whether it is in force or has been cancelled) is entered in the patent register maintained by the IPI and then published on Swissreg.
If you have any questions we will be pleased to provide you with information. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
Preparing a patent application without any errors and answering any objections correctly can be difficult for those with no experience in patenting. This is the case for both national and international applications. In this instance, we strongly recommend that you seek advice from a patent attorney.
- Applying for a patent brochure in German (pdf)
- Application and grant of a patent for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in German (doc)
- Application and grant of a patent for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in German
- Applying for a patent brochure in French
- Application and grant of a patent for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in French (doc)
- Application and grant of a patent for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in French
- Applying for a patent brochure in Italian
- Application and grant of a patent for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in Italian (doc)
- Application and grant of a patent for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in Italian
15.02.2019 | Partners and initiatives
Young researchers are ready for the world of intellectual property
Successful interregional collaboration in the field of patents and health
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich
14.02.2018 | Event
Stakeholder Discussions on: Innovation, availability and affordability of medical products. Can we achieve it all?
27.09.2017 | Event
Séminaire IPI / LES: «développements récents en droit des marques», jeudi le 9 novembre 2017 au Novotel Genève