It is your sole responsibility to take action against any misuse of your trade mark. The IPI does not check of its own motion for any likelihood of confusion. It is therefore essential that you keep an eye on the market.
You can also instruct the IPI or a other service providers to monitor your trade mark for you. This will help you to identify any new signs (identical or similar) that could be confused with your trade mark.
If you establish that your trade mark right has been infringed, you can initiate opposition procedures within the statutory time limit. You can bring a claim before an ordinary court at any time.
You can also apply to a civil court to establish the nullity of the trade mark or prohibit its commercial use. To evaluate the chances of success of a court case, we recommend contacting a trade mark consultant.
- Merkblatt: Welches Zeichen hat bei Kollisionen Vorrang (pdf)
- Merkblatt: Verwechslungsgefahr Ja oder Nein? (pdf)
- Notice « En cas de collision, quel signe a la priorité sur l'autre ? » (pdf)
- Notice « Risque de confusion ou non ? » (pdf)
- Opuscolo «Quale segno beneficia della priorità in caso di conflitto tra due segni?» (pdf)
- Opuscolo «Rischio di confusione: sì o no?» (pdf)
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich
14.02.2018 | Event
Stakeholder Discussions on: Innovation, availability and affordability of medical products. Can we achieve it all?
Séminaire IPI / LES: «développements récents en droit des marques», jeudi le 9 novembre 2017 au Novotel Genève
Patents and pharmaceuticals - Public event at the IPI in collaboration with the European Patent Office