Two-dimensional trade marks are the most common type of trade mark. They include word marks, figurative marks and combined word/figurative trade marks consisting of both words and images.
Word marks are all trade marks that consist exclusively of printable characters and for which no colour has been claimed. For example, the following can be protected as word marks:
- Words (e.g. Breitling)
- Slogans (e.g. “Red Bull gives you wings”)
- Combinations of letters (e.g. ABB)
- Numerical combinations (e.g. 501)
Figurative marks consist only of visual elements without any word components. They may have a colour claim. The following can be protected as figurative marks, for example:
Combined word/figurative marks consist of word elements and also contain a visual element or colour claim. The following can be protected as a combined word/figurative mark, for example:
A three-dimensional trade mark may consist of the shape of a product or its packaging (e.g. Toblerone) or a three-dimensional sign that is independent of the shape of the product and packaging, and which may, for example, be featured on the product (e.g. the Mercedes symbol).
An acoustic mark, also known as a jingle, is a relatively new type of trade mark. Jingles are no longer filed as an audio file but are instead represented by musical notation.
- Registering a Trade Mark brochure in German (pdf)0.98 MB
- Registering a Trade Mark brochure in French (pdf)0.97 MB
- Registering a Trade Mark brochure in Italian (pdf)0.98 MB
- Trade Mark Guidelines in German (pdf)2.80 MB
- Trade Mark Guidelines in French (pdf)3.12 MB
- Trade Mark Guidelines in Italian (pdf)2.88 MB
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich
14.02.2018 | Event
Stakeholder Discussions on: Innovation, availability and affordability of medical products. Can we achieve it all?
Séminaire IPI / LES: «développements récents en droit des marques», jeudi le 9 novembre 2017 au Novotel Genève
Patents and pharmaceuticals - Public event at the IPI in collaboration with the European Patent Office