Anyone can access the information contained in patent documents. Let us introduce you to the benefits of patent searches and databases, which you can search yourself to obtain basic patent information.
Patent specifications are published worldwide 18 months after filing – meaning you have valuable up-to-date information on companies and new technologies available free of charge any time you need it. With a patent search, you can make good use of this information:
- As a source of inspiration. You might find technical solutions that you'd never previously thought of.
- To avoid reinventing the wheel. Patent searches immediately reveal if somebody has already had the same idea as you.
- To help determine patentability before applying for a patent. Patent searches show whether your invention is new and inventive and therefore patentable.
- To protect you from infringing the patent rights of others. Do you use patent-protected inventions for your product or process? This is a question you should ask yourself independent of your own patents.
- To keep an eye on your competitors’ inventions. Patent literature contains valuable information for your own activities.
You can search yourself in various online databases in order to obtain simple patent information for free.
Searching for patents yourself
We provide inexpensive basic searches as an introduction to patents and patent applications.
Basic IPI searches
If you are looking for answers to specific questions and need a reliable basis for strategic business decisions, there are various providers who offer search services tailored to your needs.
Providers of more detailed searches
Fostering the development of medicinal products for paediatric use – consultation on the partial revision of the Patents Ordinance