For IP professionals
This is the portal for professionals working in the field of intellectual property. Here you'll find direct access to all necessary resources.
- Trade Mark Database
- Register changes for trade marks
- Madrid Monitor
- International trade mark registration
- Trade Mark Guidelines (German, French, Italian)
- Classification tool for trade marks
- Trade mark examination support tool
- Trade marks: Costs and fees
- Trade marks: WIPO fee calculator
- Cancellation procedure for trade marks on the grounds of non-use
- Protected public signs: Abbreviations
- Protected public signs: Other signs (emblems)
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices
- Trade marks: News Service Archive
- Patents: Patent Examination Guidelines (German, French)
- Patents: Fees
New electronic IP rights administration system for patents and designs from Summer 2021
From 1 July 2021, the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI) will administer patents and designs, alongside trade marks, in the new electronic IP rights administration system. This successfully concludes a project which has been running for several years and which brings a lot of changes for the IPI and the day-to-day work of its employees.
The project aimed not only to replace an outdated technology, but also:
- To automate repetitive tasks
- To introduce electronic files
- To develop a future-proof product that can be easily adapted to new needs
The introduction of the administration system also creates the technical requirements for expanding electronic communication with the IPI’s customers and other offices.
While developing the new administration system, the IPI harmonised the procedures for patents, trade marks and designs, which has made it possible to create synergies and reduce the complexity of the systems. As a result, from 1 July 2021 onwards, the administrative units for trade mark, design and patent procedures are being merged into the new Applications & Registers unit. This will be located within the Trade Mark & Design Division.
For applicants and owners of patents and designs, the introduction of the new system involves some changes to the usual processes. You can find a summary of all changes in the document entitled ‘Launch of the electronic IP rights administration system for patents and designs’ (in German, in French or in Italian).
24.05.2023 | Media release, Copyright
Online service providers are to remunerate use of journalistic works
26.04.2023 | Media release, Law and policy
Greater efficiency in the fight against counterfeiting
19.01.2023 | Law and policy, Event
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"