Do you want to start a new business for your new product?
The cantonal commercial registry is responsible for registering new businesses in the commercial register. Observe the basics for creating a business name and then determine whether it is still available.
Did you know that a protected trade mark and a business name can conflict with each other? That’s why we advise you before registering your name with the commercial registry to make sure that no identical or similar name is already protected as a trade mark. You can have a search provider make a search for you.
Entering your business name in the commercial register does not automatically protect it as a trade mark. trade mark protection derives only from entering a sign in the trade mark register at the Institute. The commercial register offers only limited protection from other people using a business name for their products, so it can be worthwhile to also register your business name as a trade mark.
- Why protect a firm name as a trade mark as well?
- Information sheet on areas of potential conflict between signs, only available in German, French and Italian.
- www.zefix.ch: Central Commercial Registry. The website also has links to the cantonal commercial registries.
- www.bj.admin.ch: the website of the Federal Office of Justice with information regarding firm protection.
- www.gruenden.ch: A wealth of information for entrepreneurs from the founding platform of the Canton of Zurich.
- www.kmu.admin.ch: Information for businesses from the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (seco).
- www.startbiz.ch: Federal office for entrepreneurs.
- Professional searches: Searches for identical or similar trade marks protected in Switzerland can be carried out by a variety of professional providers.
Speed dating for SMEs – tips for protecting innovation
Geographical indications – Swiss producers should benefit from a simple international protection system
10.04.2019 | Event
The IPI at the Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva from 10 to 14 April 2019 - why not stop by and see us?
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich