Do you want to start a new business for your new product?
The cantonal commercial registry is responsible for registering new businesses in the commercial register. Observe the basics for creating a business name and then determine whether it is still available.
Did you know that a protected trade mark and a business name can conflict with each other? That’s why we advise you before registering your name with the commercial registry to make sure that no identical or similar name is already protected as a trade mark. You can have a search provider make a search for you.
Entering your business name in the commercial register does not automatically protect it as a trade mark. trade mark protection derives only from entering a sign in the trade mark register at the Institute. The commercial register offers only limited protection from other people using a business name for their products, so it can be worthwhile to also register your business name as a trade mark.
- Why protect a firm name as a trade mark as well?
- Information sheet on areas of potential conflict between signs, only available in German, French and Italian.
- www.zefix.ch: Central Commercial Registry. The website also has links to the cantonal commercial registries.
- www.bj.admin.ch: the website of the Federal Office of Justice with information regarding firm protection.
- www.gruenden.ch: A wealth of information for entrepreneurs from the founding platform of the Canton of Zurich.
- www.kmu.admin.ch: Information for businesses from the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (seco).
- www.startbiz.ch: Federal office for entrepreneurs.
- Professional searches: Searches for identical or similar trade marks protected in Switzerland can be carried out by a variety of professional providers.
SMEs used the lockdown period to develop new ideas – an insight into an initiative of the IPI during the coronavirus crisis
08.06.2020 | Patents
More support for innovative SMEs and start-ups – assisted patent searches at a reduced fee until the end of 2020
Better international protection for Swiss geographical indications
The IPI is actively participating in the WIPO dialogue on intellectual property and artificial intelligence
08.11.2019 | Event
Symposium on Creative Approaches to Improving Access to Medicines Globally
Roundtable on the protection of computer-implemented inventions