Do you want to start a new business for your new product?
The cantonal commercial registry is responsible for registering new businesses in the commercial register. Consider the principles for creating a business name and check whether your business name is still available.
Did you know that a protected trade mark and a business name can conflict with each other? That’s why we advise you to make sure that no identical or similar name is already protected as a trade mark before registering your name with the commercial registry. You can also have a search provider carry out a search for you.
Entering your business name in the commercial register does not automatically protect it as a trade mark. Trade mark protection derives only from entering a sign in the trade mark register maintained by the IPI. The commercial register entry only protects you to a limited extent from third parties using your business name for their products, so it can be worthwhile to also register your business name as a trade mark.
- Why protect a business name as a trade mark as well?
- Information sheet on areas of potential conflict between signs, only available in German, French and Italian.
- www.zefix.ch: Central Commercial Registry. The website also has links to the cantonal commercial registries.
- www.bj.admin.ch: the website of the Federal Office of Justice with information regarding business protection.
- www.gruenden.ch: A wealth of information for entrepreneurs from the company foundation platform of the Canton of Zurich.
- www.kmu.admin.ch: Information for businesses from the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
- www.startbiz.ch: Federal office for entrepreneurs.
- Professional searches: Searches for identical or similar trade marks protected in Switzerland can be carried out by a variety of professional providers.
Harmonisation and partial revision of guidelines as of 1 July 2023
The IPI simplifies IP rights management with new online services
Online service providers are to remunerate use of journalistic works
Greater efficiency in the fight against counterfeiting
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"