Do you want to start a new business for your new product?
The cantonal commercial registry is responsible for registering new businesses in the commercial register. Consider the principles for creating a business name and check whether your business name is still available.
Did you know that a protected trade mark and a business name can conflict with each other? That’s why we advise you to make sure that no identical or similar name is already protected as a trade mark before registering your name with the commercial registry. You can also have a search provider carry out a search for you.
Entering your business name in the commercial register does not automatically protect it as a trade mark. Trade mark protection derives only from entering a sign in the trade mark register maintained by the IPI. The commercial register entry only protects you to a limited extent from third parties using your business name for their products, so it can be worthwhile to also register your business name as a trade mark.
- Why protect a business name as a trade mark as well?
- Information sheet on areas of potential conflict between signs, only available in German, French and Italian.
- www.zefix.ch: Central Commercial Registry. The website also has links to the cantonal commercial registries.
- www.bj.admin.ch: the website of the Federal Office of Justice with information regarding business protection.
- www.gruenden.ch: A wealth of information for entrepreneurs from the company foundation platform of the Canton of Zurich.
- www.kmu.admin.ch: Information for businesses from the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
- www.startbiz.ch: Federal office for entrepreneurs.
- Professional searches: Searches for identical or similar trade marks protected in Switzerland can be carried out by a variety of professional providers.
Harmonisation and partial revision of guidelines as of 1 July 2023
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"