Try to find out whether your idea or something similar has already been done. Gather information by searching internet databases and technical, scientific and patent literature, attending trade fairs and looking through product catalogues.
Patents reflect the innovations that are being developed. Patent databases contain a huge amount of information about technological developments for products and processes – often long before these are on the market or in use. Use this information so that you don't start to develop something that already exists. Patent information can also inspire new ideas or other solutions.
If you’ve never searched for information before, we can help you through our Assisted Patent Search service. You can also go straight to a search professional. They can search specific patent databases and the technical literature for solutions identical or similar to yours.
If you have already filed a patent application, you may, for information purposes, request a Swiss Patent Application Search.
Good to know
- Searches are valuable at any point in the innovation process. For example, you can find solutions for technical problems, keep informed of new technical developments, search for suppliers or licensing partners, avoid infringement, check the validity of a patent, or even look for a translation of a patent.
- www.swissreg.ch: The official publication of Swiss patents, trade marks, and designs contains information on published Swiss applications and Swiss patents as well as granted European patents effective in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- www.espacenet.com: The online database of the European Patent Organisation containing over a million patent documents from all over the world.
- www.depatisnet.de: Search for patent documents throughout the world with the online service of the German Patent and Trade Mark Office.
- www.wipo.int: The digital library of the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva (for patents, trade marks, and designs).
- www.uspto.gov: The online database of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Assisted Patent Search: Make use of the expertise of a patent expert at our office in Bern for a half day: accompanied by an expert, you search online databases and get a first overview of the state of the art for your idea or invention.
- Professional searches: A technology and patent search by a specialist can help you determine the state of the art in a particular technology sector.
- Swiss Patent Application Search: You will receive a search report containing a list of the most relevant documents. In this report, the significance of the various documents in terms of the patent claims they refer to is also indicated.
Don’t have a black day on Black Friday: how to avoid fake bargains
The Federal Council wants to strengthen the Swiss patent
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"
Conference on intellectual property law – industrial data sharing, 7 June 2022
EPO/IPI - invitation to a free public online seminar on patenting topics in green tech