For IP professionals
This is the portal for professionals working in the field of intellectual property. Here you'll find direct access to all necessary resources.
- Trade Mark Database
- Register changes for trade marks
- Madrid Monitor
- International trade mark registration
- Trade Mark Guidelines (German, French, Italian)
- Classification tool for trade marks
- Trade mark examination support tool
- Trade marks: Costs and fees
- Trade marks: WIPO fee calculator
- Cancellation procedure for trade marks on the grounds of non-use
- Protected public signs: Abbreviations
- Protected public signs: Other signs (emblems)
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices
- Trade marks: News Service Archive
- Patents: Patent Examination Guidelines (German, French)
- Patents: Fees
Counterfeiting and piracy
What is a counterfeit?
A counterfeit is an illegal copy of an original. Counterfeiters try to imitate the characteristics, material or look of a legally protected product. Their aim is to take advantage of the reputation of the original, which is founded on a trade mark, an indication of source (such as "Swiss Made"), a design or a patent.
What is piracy?
Piracy is the illegal copying of works such as music, computer software and films. If films, music, books or images are used without a license, this is called piracy. It is the infringement of copyright and related rights.
Who is affected?
Counterfeiting and piracy have long been an industry-wide problem of global proportions affecting many Swiss companies. Not only does it harm large corporations, but also countless small and medium-sized companies who have worked hard to carve out their place in the market through their innovation and creativity.
24.05.2023 | Media release, Copyright
Online service providers are to remunerate use of journalistic works
26.04.2023 | Media release, Law and policy
Greater efficiency in the fight against counterfeiting
19.01.2023 | Law and policy, Event
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"