For IP professionals
This is the portal for professionals working in the field of intellectual property. Here you'll find direct access to all necessary resources.
- Trade Mark Database
- Register changes for trade marks
- Madrid Monitor
- International trade mark registration
- Trade Mark Guidelines (German, French, Italian)
- Classification tool for trade marks
- Trade mark examination support tool
- Trade marks: Costs and fees
- Trade marks: WIPO fee calculator
- Cancellation procedure for trade marks on the grounds of non-use
- Protected public signs: Abbreviations
- Protected public signs: Other signs (emblems)
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices
- Trade marks: News Service Archive
- Patents: Patent Examination Guidelines (German, French)
- Patents: Fees
WIPO administers the Geneva Act of the Lisbon Agreement on Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications, which Switzerland acceded to in 2021. Beneficiaries of geographical indications can now obtain increased protection in the contracting parties through a single, simple and inexpensive notification procedure.
WIPO's Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications is responsible for facilitating and coordinating the development of international law on geographical indications. Every two years, WIPO also organises an international symposium to discuss the use and protection of geographical indications.
Protection of appellations of origin and geographical indications under the Geneva Act of the Lisbon Agreement
WIPO also administers the Lisbon Agreement (1958) for the Protection of Appellations of Origin and their International Registration, of which Switzerland is not a member state, as well as the Geneva Act of the Lisbon Agreement on Appellations of Origin and Geographical Indications (PDF) (2015), which Switzerland acceded to in 2021. These treaties establish an international register of appellations of origin and geographical indications and prescribe a high level of protection. The Geneva Act entered into force on 26 February 2020.
On 18 August 2021, the Federal Council approved the entry into force of the Geneva Act and the amendment of the implementing ordinances, with effect from 1 December 2021. This accession will permit beneficiaries of Swiss appellations of origin and geographical indications to obtain protection abroad through a single, simple and inexpensive procedure.
Standing Committee on the Law of Trademarks, Industrial Designs and Geographical Indications (SCT)
At WIPO, the SCT is responsible for normative work at international level, particularly in the field of geographical indications. The SCT also encourages the harmonisation of national laws.
Switzerland is actively involved in the work of this committee, particularly in its information sessions on geographical indications.
Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications
Every two years, WIPO organises a Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications, which brings together representatives of the member states, producers of products protected by geographical indications and experts in the field.
The purpose of this forum is to discuss the use and protection of geographical indications and to exchange analyses and technical information relating to recent developments in the field.
Documents & links
- Flyer 'Lisbon System' (IPI) (PDF in German)
- Flyer 'Lisbon System' (IPI) (PDF in French)
- The Lisbon System (WIPO)
- Main Provisions and Benefits of the Geneva Act of the Lisbon Agreement (PDF)
- Switzerland Joins Geneva Act of WIPO’s Lisbon Agreement
- Amendment of the Federal Act on the Protection of Trade Marks and Indications of Source (in French, German or Italian)
- Dispatch on the approval of the Geneva Act of the Lisbon Agreement for the Protection of Appellations of Origin and their International Registration and its implementation (amendment of the Trade Mark Protection Act (in French, German or Italian)
- Amendment of the Federal Ordinance on the Protection of Trade Marks and Indications of Source (PDF in French, German or Italian)
- Commentary on the TmPO provisions as amended on the 18 August 2021 (PDF in French)
- Report on the results of the consultation procedure (PDF in French, German or Italian)
- Nicolas Guyot / Mara Mosset / Erik Thévenod-Mottet, ‘Adhésion de la Suisse à l’Acte de Genève’, in Jusletter 17 May 2021 (PDF in French)
- 2021 Worldwide Symposium on Geographical Indications
- WIPO Virtual Exhibition on Geographical Indications
09.02.2023 | Patents
“A competitor wanted to intimidate us”
19.01.2023 | Law and policy, Event
Conference on Intellectual Property & Sustainability at the University of Geneva
Symposium: "Best practices in the fight against counterfeiting & piracy – NFTs not your cup of tea? Well, they should: NFTs as a new way of fighting counterfeiting and piracy"