Only those who are able to prove that they hold specific professional qualifications may use the title "Patent Attorney". However, anyone may advise and represent a client in patent matters.
- You have gained a higher education qualification in science or engineering
- You have an address for service in Switzerland
- You have passed a patent attorney examination. You can be admitted to the examination if you have a minimum of three years full-time practical experience in patent matters (or the corresponding amount of practical experience part-time)
- You are registered in the Patent Attorney Register
The Swiss Federal Patent Attorney examination consists of four parts:
- The first two parts consist of examination papers A and B of the European qualifying examination (EQE) for admitted representatives. These must have been passed as part of the EQE carried out by the European Patent Office (EPO).
- The third part concerns Swiss patent law and the associated areas of administrative, criminal and civil procedural law.
- The fourth part covers trade mark, design, copyright, competition and civil law.
Further information such as examination dates, fees and recognition of foreign patent attorney examinations can be obtained from the examination board:
Prüfungskammer / Prüfungskommission
Tel. +41 44 206 16 60
Fax +41 44 206 16 61
The Patent Attorney Register is maintained by the IPI and is accessible on our website.
Would you like to be registered in the Patent Attorney Register? You can send your application and the required enclosures by post (Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property, Patent Administration, Stauffacherstrasse 65/59g, 3003 Bern) or by email (patent.admin). Please use the following form for your application: @ekomm .chApplication for Entry in the Patent Attorney Register (doc). Registration costs CHF 200.
21.09.2018 | Law and policy
Information event on the revised Patents Act for experts and practitioners
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich
14.02.2018 | Event
Stakeholder Discussions on: Innovation, availability and affordability of medical products. Can we achieve it all?
Séminaire IPI / LES: «développements récents en droit des marques», jeudi le 9 novembre 2017 au Novotel Genève
Patents and pharmaceuticals - Public event at the IPI in collaboration with the European Patent Office