The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is a specialised agency of the United Nations. It aims to promote the protection of intellectual property worldwide through cooperation between countries. WIPO serves the interests of creators and holders of intellectual property in cross-border issues.
- administers numerous treaties on the protection of patents, trade marks, designs, geographical indications and copyright (such as the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property and the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works);
- is engaged in technical cooperation;
- supports its member states with the implementation of treaties and with the creation and improvement of the necessary infrastructure to ensure effective protection of intellectual property;
- provides services to rights owners who wish to protect their rights in several countries through the international registration systems;
- operates an Arbitration and Mediation Center for alternative dispute resolution and a mechanism to resolve internet domain name disputes.
What tasks does the IPI perform at WIPO?
- We represent Switzerland in collaboration with other competent federal authorities, such as the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA).
- We play an active and constructive role in WIPO's discussions.
- We stand for a strong and modern protection of intellectual property rights and promote solutions that accommodate the interests of the various parties.
- We are committed to ensuring the international registration systems and WIPO's administrative and institutional processes in general function effectively.
SMEs used the lockdown period to develop new ideas – an insight into an initiative of the IPI during the coronavirus crisis
08.06.2020 | Patents
More support for innovative SMEs and start-ups – assisted patent searches at a reduced fee until the end of 2020
Better international protection for Swiss geographical indications
The IPI is actively participating in the WIPO dialogue on intellectual property and artificial intelligence
08.11.2019 | Event
Symposium on Creative Approaches to Improving Access to Medicines Globally
Roundtable on the protection of computer-implemented inventions