Only those who are able to prove that they hold specific professional qualifications may use the title "Patent Attorney". However, anyone may advise and represent a client in patent matters.
- You have gained a higher education qualification in science or engineering
- You have an address for service in Switzerland
- You have passed a patent attorney examination. You can be admitted to the examination if you have a minimum of three years full-time practical experience in patent matters (or the corresponding amount of practical experience part-time)
- You are registered in the Patent Attorney Register
The Swiss Federal Patent Attorney examination consists of four parts:
- The first two parts consist of examination papers A and B of the European qualifying examination (EQE) for admitted representatives. These must have been passed as part of the EQE carried out by the European Patent Office (EPO).
- The third part concerns Swiss patent law and the associated areas of administrative, criminal and civil procedural law.
- The fourth part covers trade mark, design, copyright, competition and civil law.
Further information such as examination dates, fees and recognition of foreign patent attorney examinations can be obtained from the examination board:
Prüfungskammer / Prüfungskommission
Tel. +41 44 206 16 60
Fax +41 44 206 16 61
The Patent Attorney Register is maintained by the IPI and is accessible on our website.
Would you like to be registered in the Patent Attorney Register? You can send your application and the required enclosures by post (Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property, Patent Administration, Stauffacherstrasse 65/59g, 3003 Bern) or by email (patent.admin). Please use the following form for your application: @ekomm .chApplication for Entry in the Patent Attorney Register (doc). Registration costs CHF 200.
World IP Day – how SMEs reliably bring their ideas to market
United against ‘Swissness’ misuse – the IPI and Swiss exporters are working together
IPI Director General becomes delegate in the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation
Swiss Innovation Forum 2020 to be held as an online festival