Intellectual property (IP) is all around us. Whether you’re reading the newspaper (copyright), using your coffee machine (patent) or driving your car to work (design). What’s more, we’re constantly encountering different brands (trade marks). IP rights prevent free riders from simply copying these innovations and creations.
For IP professionals
This is the portal for professionals working in the field of intellectual property. Here you'll find direct access to all necessary resources.
- Trade Mark Database
- Register changes for trade marks
- Madrid Monitor
- International trade mark registration
- Trade Mark Guidelines (German, French, Italian)
- Classification tool for trade marks
- Trade mark examination support tool
- Trade marks: Costs and fees
- Trade marks: WIPO fee calculator
- Cancellation procedure for trade marks on the grounds of non-use
- Protected public signs: Abbreviations
- Protected public signs: Other signs (emblems)
- Directory of Intellectual Property Offices
- Trade marks: News Service Archive
- Patents: Patent Examination Guidelines (German, French)
- Patents: Fees
Come to us to learn about intellectual property
The Crash Course in Intellectual Property is the most popular training course offered by the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IPI). We had the chance to sit in on the course in Bern where the participants learned all about trade marks, patents, designs and copyright.
From entrepreneurs to inventors
In the IPI’s one-day crash course, the participants become familiar with the various IP rights and their characteristics from a practical point of view. The attendees come from a range of backgrounds: IP managers in companies, start-up owners, law firm employees, inventors and private individuals interested in learning the basics of IP.
Practical examples are used in the seminar to explain and bring the world of trade marks, patents and designs to life. For example, the participants find out that even big-name inventors, such as Apple founder Steve Jobs, are not immune to slip-ups with intellectual property.
Two IPI experts lead the course
The crash course is led by the experienced experts Matthias Käch and Kamran Houshang Pour. It takes place every September and March in German and every May in French.
Take a look at our training calendar. We’ve got a course that’s just right for you too!
Find tips on IP on our website
- How to make the most of your intellectual property
- Guide for Innovative Minds
- IP in the business world: testimonies from SMEs