Find out whether your trade mark is already being used or has been registered as a company or domain name by someone else. To do this, you can search free websites:
- via internet search engines
- in Swissreg for Swiss trade marks
- in the Madrid Monitor database for internationally registered trade marks that are protected in Switzerland
- in TMview for trade marks registered in the EU and many other countries
- in the Central Business Names Index for companies registered in Switzerland
- in SWITCH for domain names.
Be careful with images as they are very difficult to search for in online databases and on the internet. It's therefore important you get a professional to carry out an image search for you.
If so, you should check whether there are any potential conflicts between the signs. You can find information about this in our two leaflets:
Then make sure that there aren't any trade marks that are similar to yours as your trade mark could also conflict with similar ones.
Below are some examples of similar trade marks where the existence of a conflict was confirmed in court:
- Alcon against Alicon
- Blackberry against Blueberry
- Stoko against Toggo
- Kimbo against Bimbo
- Pectan against Spectane
As it's almost impossible to carry out a comprehensive search for similar trade marks on free websites, you should have a professional search carried out. The IPI or private search service providers can do this for you.
- Merkblatt: Welches Zeichen hat bei Kollisionen Vorrang (pdf)
- Merkblatt: Verwechslungsgefahr Ja oder Nein? (pdf)
- Notice « En cas de collision, quel signe a la priorité sur l'autre ? » (pdf)
- Notice « Risque de confusion ou non ? » (pdf)
- Opuscolo «Quale segno beneficia della priorità in caso di conflitto tra due segni?» (pdf)
- Opuscolo «Rischio di confusione: sì o no?» (pdf)
15.02.2019 | Partners and initiatives
Young researchers are ready for the world of intellectual property
Successful interregional collaboration in the field of patents and health
Info event on using strategic patent analyses on 11.4.2018 in Zurich
14.02.2018 | Event
Stakeholder Discussions on: Innovation, availability and affordability of medical products. Can we achieve it all?
27.09.2017 | Event
Séminaire IPI / LES: «développements récents en droit des marques», jeudi le 9 novembre 2017 au Novotel Genève